- My transcription rates are usually either per audio minute (general/business) or per page (government/legal), but I can work with whatever the client prefers. The rates vary depending on:- The quality of the audio;
– The number of speakers;
– The type of transcript needed (verbatim or not);
– Special formatting/templates to be used;
– Whether you want a second pass (scope) of the document to check it against the audio.
I prefer to discuss rates on a per project basis because there are so many variables, but a non-verbatim transcript of one or two speakers with clear audio is $1.25 to $1.50 per audio minute, depending on if it is a formal interview or just two people chatting. A verbatim transcript of one or two speakers with clear audio is $1.75 to $2.50 per audio minute. Background noise, excessive talking over each other, and poor quality audio are all subject to a surcharge. Unlike other transcription firms, I do not automatically charge more for a non-standard North American accent, only if the speaker is talking so quickly as to truly be unintelligible. Rates and turnaround time are higher if I need to proof/my transcripts again the audio as I’m being asked to do two jobs.
Non-profit, education, and bulk order discounts are available. I also work at lower rates with low budget production companies in exchange for a credit in the final product.
Please note that an hourly quote is based on the length of the recording (audio hour), not a working hour. The industry standard is that it takes about four hours to transcribe one hour of good quality audio with one or two speakers.
For retyping/data entry, my rates can be quite low, depending on the complexity of the project. I enjoy typing and if all you want is someone to type up a neatly handwritten document, I’ll be happy to do that during the evenings at a much lower rate than I charge for my professional services.
- My proofreading rates can be by page, word, or time worked. Like with transcription, I prefer to discuss rates on a per project basis. Non-profit, education, and bulk order discounts are available.
For any project, a total project fee can be determined from the onset so you know exactly what you will pay and when the project will be delivered.
Larger projects may be subject to milestone payments, especially for new clients.
As of June 10th, 2019, Canadian clients are not subject to GST/HST as I do not have sufficient ingresses in CAD to make that necessary.
Payment terms are normally that invoices are due upon receipt, but I am flexible to work with a regular client’s accounts payable cycle.